
A pair of shoes, recently polished. Having been taught the importance of shined shoes by determined drill instructors many years ago, I have always tried to keep mine looking half-way decent. So it was with some surprise that we answered the door at 6:30 the morning of my birthday last week to find our mission president holding a shoe shine kit and asking for my shoes. We engaged in some amiable conversation during the time it took him to put on a good base of polish and then brush them to a nice luster. When he finished, he reviewed with us the 13th chapter of John where our Savior is washing the feet of his disciples, and saying, “Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.” Our mission president has repeated many times this act of service to the missionaries in Cambodia—a gentle example of humility and service.